World Backgammon Federation
The international voice for our favorite game
We are the WBGF
Our goal is simple: We want to unite nations from all over the world in our shared passion: Backgammon.
For that the federation and its membernations host 10 World Championships, it organizes backgammon lessons for young students and works together intensively with its strong team and partners.
Until 2023 we will proudly call 40 nations from America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia members of our federation.
What are the tasks and benefits of the WBGF?
- Develop, improve, expand and promote backgammon as a mind sport according to principles of Olympic and sports rules.
- Deal with all questions relating to tournament backgammon taking place in all member nations.
- Organise and conduct international backgammon competitions and tournaments at a global level.
- Promote unity among its member nations (Member Associations).
- Safeguard the overall interests of Member Associations
- Act as a representative voice for the global backgammon family.
- Respect the interests of Member Associations, settle disputes between Member Associations and assist them in any matter.
- One common international voice – together we are stronger. Especially when talking to other mindsport organisations.
- Common tournament ruleset
- Common ethics ruleset
- Worldwide rankinglist
- The World Team Championship
- A federation owed by the players
- Coordination of activities and preservation and promotion of its members’ interests.
- Establishment of the development of backgammon policies at a global level.
- Regulation of the competitions system at a global level.
- Organisation and conduct of sporting events, particularly an official global championship (the WBGF Team and Individual Championships) and other competitions at a global level.
- Adoption and implementation of WBGF tournament rules.
- Establishment of evaluation and categorization of players, particularly by ratings and titles.
- Encouragement of development of national organisations.
- Encouragement of ethical and moral standards in sports, respect of human dignity, fair play, tolerance, nonviolence and a general sporting culture.
- Advocacy for legal recognition of backgammon as a mind sport.
- Perform any other tasks which have been determined pursuant to these Statutes and any other applicable rules and regulations.
- The pursuit of its own commercial objects in accordance with any applicable laws or regulations in order to finance its activities.
You want to always be up to date?
Sign up for our Newsletter today and you will always get the newest information about upcoming tournaments,
current projects of the WBGF and everything else regarding backgammon.